Thursday, October 28, 2004

I like.....

I like the sea, it´s endless vastness, the power of it, the soothing effect it has on me and the sense that there is something so much stronger than me, it is a feeling on deep and abiding respect.
I like the smell of spring, that fresh verdant smell as the ground defrosts and you can smell the very first buds of grass.
I like hugs, the ones where you find yourself completely relaxing and that sense of communion when both parties lower all barriers. Sometimes one is the giving party sometimes the recievee and most of the time both.
I like trains ... they take me to different places and I can relax as I enjoy watching both the view as the people travelling with me.
And last but not least I like the way I wake up in the middle of the night to tiny ice cold toes being wriggled up against me, a little arm draped over me and the pure and utter security that little person feels as she immedately starts to snore in my ear.....

Oh and crisp frosty still mornings in Iceland, when everything is completely quiet, the stars and the northern lights ablaze and as your nose freezes you hear the crunh crunch as you tread through the snow...

Funny, for all my travels and my insatiable wanderlust how remarkably Icelandic I still am at the core, I may not fit in there but the feel of the country is with me wherever I go. I love old cities and Edinburgh is truly a visual feast, Rome is an experience in itself and the sights of Japan I carry with me wherever...... I think that might be the key, other places are visual experiences, observances but Iceland is a feeling, a oneness ....
Lying by myself in a lavadesert on a sunny day in a mossy cranny gazing at the sky ..... sitting crosslegged on a boulder on a windy Icelandic shore at night, staring at the sea ..... Lying in the snow gazing up at the northern lights ..... Enjoying being alone ... Recharging

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home