Thursday, April 07, 2005

Thoughts on my paper...Well one of them anyway

Blehhhh... Have read approx 30 odd articles today, all in one way or another dedicated to Buffy the Vampire Slayer and fandoms. I know one of my presentations is going to be related to this but how exactly I´ve yet to fathom...
Seeing as I´m pretending to be a folklorist the subject would obviously have to be on folkloric matters but seeing as I´m more concerned with modern folklore I´d be studying the communities or something that´s alive and well today rather than looking for instance at the monsters in the episodes and compairing them to age old refrences ;-P
I myself am a Buffy fan although I´ve never attended a proper fan conference. I did however dress up as Willow once for a Buffy Party back in Iceland ;-) Although I´m not sure if it counts. Ahhh memories of youth ;-) (p.s. I´m on pic number 14)

Anyways, So far I´m thinking:
  • Buffyspeak, language as an identity amongst selfprocalimed Buffycultists.
  • Witchcraft as presented in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, citing both articles for and against for a variety of reasons.
  • or Buffyverse, the variations of online Buffy fan communities, fandoms and meetups. Where cyber communities become physical communities, again linking in with Buffyspeak and then with dressing up (cos play of sorts)

Well, better get back to reading some more, not get distracted by the extremely intresting Harry Potter conference (academic) in September and find me a point of query from whence to work my way up to a masters level presentation. Good luck to me ....

1 Comments:

At 3:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the witchcraft idea a lot. I did my master's thesis on vampires and as a tangent, I really got interested in ways that people in the modern world construe ideas about religion/magic/witchcraft and their intersections. There's a whole set of unexamined cultural assumptions there. could be interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home