Monday, October 10, 2005

Serenity !!

Well I finally got to see Serenity last night, at long long last! I didn´t go to the cinema wearing the signal brown coat of the avid followers of Firefly, prompting a quizzing, somewhat teasing glance from Halldór. We decided to make a date out of it, leaving the kids with Steini we started off at a fancy steakhouse where I had my mussels in white wine and cream sauce, yummy ;-) before we moved on to the cinema bar for (incredibly crappy) wine. It was intresting to observe the type of people attending, there were a few brown coats, a number of tech joke t-shirts and the large majority of the people wore black ;-) Felt right at home :-D

The movie was quite an experience, first the whole introduction to the series done in ten minutes flat and then the shockers began... Have I told you I´m no good with shockers? Svav will testify to the fact, along with telling highly descriptive stories of me at Arachnaphobia some years back, where I ended up watching behind the seats in front of me before literally jumping my height into thin air... Anyways, back to the film, it was good, well rounded, scary as hell in parts and just excellent :-D No regrets it was beautifully done a pleasure for those familiar with the series and I wouldn´t be surpriced if it lead those uninitiated ones towards the dvds.

One thing I missed was the theme song. Originally sung by Whedon himself it was one of those terrible ones that really grow on you, especially as you get to know the characters and become more involved in the story ... like the Enterprise .. hated the theme with an unmatched fervour but now find myself humming it occasionally ;-P (arrrgh *note to self neve admit to you signs of madness)

Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me
Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't comin' back
Burn the land and boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me
There's no place I can be
Since I found Serenity
But you can't take the sky from me...

Main Title Theme Written by: Joss Whedon
Performed by: Sonny Rhodes


If you want to listen to it in person you can find it here ;-) If I´ve managed to make you curious for more info I recommend the TwoEvilMonks site, they also have the funniest episode caps for the Alias series!!

2 Comments:

At 3:18 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have definitely kindled my interest in the film. Since I am starved of all semi-watchable TV (with the exception of BBC1 and BBC2, although I could purchase a Freeview box, always assuming I could overcome my inertia), I missed out on Firefly, though my sci-fi addict Father was hooked on it. Release dates of films do not coincide with the UK, however. There appears to be no discernible set of criteria for what arrives here when (some films are shown months before they hit the screens in the UK and vice versa) so I will just have to sit it out. I have read favourable reviews, although I confess to a certain scepticism about a blend of the Western (one of my least favourite genres) and sci-fi, although noir and sci-fi mingle well.

 
At 7:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the series, and indeed the theme song which may be corny but fits really well. I haven't managed to get to the film yet but am looking forward to it, probably one night next week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home