Wednesday, November 09, 2005

A thought...


Intriguing books in Portaportese 1
Originally uploaded by Gunnella.


I love books, I can´t live without books! And I especially love these old, worn ones, the ones one feels could tell a story far more intresting than is actully contained between it´s folds, books that have seen life come and go, have experienced love, appreciation, disdain even hate, books that have travelled between generations, inspired and provoked hought. Books with a soul.


Intriguing books in Portaportese 2Back home I have a couple of manuscripts dating from the 16th and the 17th century respectively as well as an extensive library focused mainly on folkloristics, and I miss them. Studying here it´s been hard not having the books I know at hand, being able to reach behind me and pull out that one reference I need .... When I think of the future, second only to the kids well being is my dream ofhaving a place where I can put up all my books and accumulate more, where in the world doesn´t really matter but I dream, have actually always dreamt of having a library ;-)
Anyone remember that old movie with Jodie Foster, Christmas at candleshoe, well there they had this library with large windows with wide sills upon which one could sit, and already then (I was perhaps around 6 years old) I longed for that library with sills just like that ;-D
O.k. rant over... better get back to writing :-D As a comment enhancer I´m curious, what is your favorite book, or what book can you remember as being your absolute favorite at some time or another?

5 Comments:

At 12:06 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a child I loved reading the book "Elsku Míó minn" by Astrid Lindgren.
Presently the author Terry Pratchett is my favorite, his books are fantastic, never a dull moment :)

 
At 10:18 am, Blogger Svava said...

I read Lord of the Rings first as at the tender age of 12 and I just loved it. Eva Luna by Isabel Allende was also a favourite of mine while around 20. Still, I have troubles picking a favourite, I just loooove books (as you know) and thus find new loves all the time :D

 
At 9:22 pm, Blogger Gordon said...

Blimey - my favourite book as a child was a Sci-Fi thing called Trillions by Nicolas Fisk.

My favourite book as an adult... would be... umm.... need to get back to you on that one. I rarely read the same book twice.

 
At 5:56 pm, Blogger Gunnella said...

Arrgh there are so many!! And as soon as one starts the more I remember, but if I go the books I´ve read the most often I´d have to say the Narnia chronicles as a child and then.... woe be me slight blush *The Belgariad* by Eddings as a grown up, surely defining me as yet not grown up ;-D

 
At 3:49 am, Blogger Ayla said...

Oh wow, as a person who is always reading, I have no single favorite. ALTHOUGH, there are a few that definately stick out. White Oleander by Janet Fitch, Daimons by Nina Fitzpatrick and Shade by Neil Jordan are my current top three. But of course, there are also the Chronicles of Narnia, and Black Beauty, Zel by Donna Jo Napoli and anything by Jack Whyte.
Too many.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home