Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Rambling pseudo academic contemplations, comments appreciated ;-)

Well quite a lot has happened in the last week, actually in the last few days...
The research MPhil/PhD that I´d thought was out of the picture all-over-a-sudden came through and the Icelandic student loan company bizarrely enough seem to be on the verge of becoming human.

So after a lot of undecided jumping around and throwing thoughts off poor dad and Halldór I´ve decided to go through with this, my main points of contention having been cleared, things like attendance requirements, school fees whilst in Japan and the student loans.
So what remains of indiciveness is…
is this the best option for me? To which I respond (or one version of my schizoid personality) well it is an option and not a bad one at that.

Hey come on, I just got offered a place in a research program, with three specialized supervisors in Japanese folklore, correct me if I´m wrong (Speaking to those of you who know about these things!!) but that can´t be bad?

Pros are …

-Financial problems will be settled and we can focus upon saving for Japan
-I´ll have something to do and aim for and stop wandering around here aimlessly until summer
-I´ll be starting my studies instead of waiting for two years

Cons could be …
-Attendance could be required and seeing as the School´s far away it´s added cost and bother
-I´ve already gotten employment next summer in Icealand, I know I can handle the two seeing as the kids won´t be with me but would they accept that?
-And… I´d kind of fantazised about attending postgraduate studies in the States


Interestingly enough my astrology forecast has been going on about how I should stop focusing on the past and that my financial problems are about to be solved and that it is time to focus on intellectual matters…;-D

Anyways, better get back to writing, have one wee paper to write for a conference next Saturday ;-) Would really like to get your feedback on this here ramblings shards of a post, please?

6 Comments:

At 1:11 am, Blogger Svava said...

Go for it girl. Annað leysist, þó krakkarnir séu tímabundið í burtu þá munu bæði þau og þú lifa það af ;-) Ég sendi Hildu til Íslands í 3 mánuði meðan ég kláraði masterinn and we are still alive. Og að losna við fjárhagsáhyggjur...priceless !

 
At 3:14 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eg er sammala sidusta raedumanni.:) Thad er otrulega mikill lettir ad losna vid fjarhagsahyggjur en hmmmm..thad vaeri nu gaman ef thu taekir Phd herna i Bandarikjunum ,thar sem ad eg er nu herna og kannski gaetum vid tha hist..ha ha ha :)
Kvedja,
Huld

 
At 6:50 am, Blogger Lola said...

Why not postgraduate studies in Canada?

 
At 3:11 pm, Blogger ramblingmuse said...

Sounds like things are coming along well with your studies.

Hmmm...I think you should come to the bay area, California!!! Not only 'cuz your coolest blog friend is there, but really, there's a lot of Asian influence and who knows...maybe you can segue into how the folklore gets passed down generationally (there are a tons of Japanese/Asians living in the bay area).

Go for it! Carpe sushi!

 
At 11:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you are asking for advice on what to do with your life, I'll give you one. Go absolutely wild and sell your house and everything you own. Then start a religion, let's call it 'Feeling the Inner Earth-Spirit Larumba' with 'Larumba' being a spirit-God who only you can communicate with. In classic religion fashion this god will send all humans who do not follow this religion to eternal damnation. Now get people to join your cult and give you money. Keep a detailed log of how much money you are making from "donations" from members and from selling your books. Try to build an empire and take over the world.

We might have to think this over a little bit more but the rough outline is there.

 
At 5:35 am, Blogger Chris said...

I know how fun wandering around aimlessly is. I did that between the time I was laid off at Amazon.com and the time I came to Edinburgh. However, having an aim does help one feel like you are going somewhere.

The issue might not just be attendence. It might be residence. U of Ed requires you to live in or near Edinburgh (Glasgow seems to be ok). You may have to move down there.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home