Friday, March 17, 2006

A very happy wee person :-D

Wow, Thursday a week ago was amazing!! So why is she blogging about week old events you might be asking yourself,.. well it´ll all become clear in due course. First let me apologize for my severe lack of posting, in part due to having been busy as a bee with my studies...

Anyways, on Thursday I went to school, fully braced for bureaucratic hassle, delays, having to haggle and be insistent and nervous as hell about meeting my PhD supervisors all for the first time, well to cut the tale short the day turned out to be fantastic to say the absolute least!!!

First of all I arrive after my 4 hour train ride into town, the train is delayed as usual and I, having only an hour and half to do all the registration stuff before the meeting, scurry up to the office to fetch a letter my supervisor had promised to leave for me there. Needless to say I turn up, the office is closed and once I find someone to assist me it turns out the supervisor hadn´t actually left the letter at all ;-) Good start ehi?

Well that´s when things start getting fantastical….off I trotter to his office, he´s there a tad surprised over my early arrival, quickly writes me another letter, over to the office I go absolutely sure it´s going to be closed and I´ll be needing some document or another which I don´t have, but alas no, much to my surprise I am greeted warmly, the lady quickly and surely registers me, gives me extra three weeks to come up with the fees and sends me over to the computer centre. There I´m in for another shock as there is a gentleman just waiting to be of service, and in mere 5 mins gets me an account, library access, takes my picture and hands me my student card with a confidential grin about having given me my name as an e-mail address, something normally only reserved for faculty. And I wasn´t even showing any cleavage!!

By this time I´m quite elated and having made such good time run to the library to try to find books for my upcoming paper, but alas my card still isn´t functional and hence I can´t take any books out, again my lucky stars are shining as one librarian upon hearing where I live and my difficulties in returning tomorrow, just pulls me aside, quickly manually adds me to the system and literally winks at me ;-) I find all the books I´m looking for (a miracle in itself) and head for the meeting, now getting seriously worried. Needless to say the meeting went amazingly, they were very positive towards my research and seeing as I’ve already taken the MA are giving me full exemption from attendance courses (saving me tons of money as well as hassle) and to focus upon furthering my Japanese as well as reading related articles for the next few months, i.e. just to have fun ;-D

So could the day become any better? Yup it sure can! When I finally made it home at midnight (another 4 hours train ride) and quickly checked my e-mails there were two that stood out. One was from the Icelandic student loan company (generally referred to as the devil incarnate due to their unflinching evilness) offering me an exemption from repayments on earlier loans this year due to low income (duhh I´m a student mother of two!) and the other e-mail was to inform me that on one of my countless wanderings unto movie magazine sites and taking part in all the routine competitions, I´d actually managed to win something!! And not just something wee like a t-shirt or a DVD set but a brand new Sony Vaio dual centrino technology laptop :-D Not kidding you. Hence the no blogging about it earlier in order not to tempt fate and jinx the whole process.

But now it´s here, brought in earlier this morning and understandably all reading and studying went out the window as the new gadget was prodded and probed ;-D

I don´t know what to call it, lucky star, an angel dropping in for a visit or collected karma points but that day definitely felt like someone out there had decided to make it a special one for me :-D I´ve started my PhD, the student loans issue has resolved itself and I´ve just been literally "handed" a new laptop computer..
*happy happy spring dance*

My creation

11 Comments:

At 1:09 am, Blogger Steve Piercy said...

You jammy so-and-so!! That's fantastic! Results all round there!!

 
At 2:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh wow! how awesome!

 
At 3:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I´d be jealous of your good luck if I weren´t so happy for you that you had such a great day. Have you given the laptop a name yet?

 
At 4:57 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Serendipity rules, OK!

 
At 5:25 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Þetta er ekki heppni, þú ert bara snillingur!

 
At 9:34 am, Blogger Bob Mottram said...

Sucks! I never seem to win anything like that. I think I'm using the same model laptop as yours at work though (Sony Vaio with a 15.4" widescreen).

 
At 5:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super flott:) Lukku dama!
Kaer kvedja,
Huld og co

 
At 8:44 pm, Blogger Ágústa said...

Vá frábært :) Samgleðst þér frænka, þú áttir þetta sko pottþétt skilið

Kv. Ágústa frænka

 
At 2:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, well, Gunnella! You lukkunnar pamfíll (try to translate that into Japanese!) it´s nice to read of your luck really, I think you deserve all the best. And yes, by the way, when you plan your trip to the land of the rising sun, try to squeeze Jordan into the itinerary, you with your expert technique in finding airfares for 99p. All good wishes, Gurry

 
At 1:49 am, Blogger Natalie said...

That is a MOST lucky day!

Good for you, can't think of a better person to have that good of a day!

 
At 4:42 am, Blogger Gunnella said...

Thank you all :-D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home