Sunday, May 07, 2006

Reality Tv and the loss of Paris

O.k. I can officially stop watching American Idol now. Paris has been voted off, the only one that had an astounding talent, presence and talent, did I mention talent?!! In a way it’s a good thing, this weird addiction to the show is unnatural yet it is so very very entrancing. I’m generally not much for reality shows, generally they invoke a guttural feeling of complete and utter disgust, yet a few have caught my eye and at the same time my attention.
One has been American Idol, flashy, grand, contrived yet watchable, the x-factor, the British idol equivalent, yet open to groups and older people as well. A definite improvement on the A.I. specifically for the inclusion of Sharon Osborne (Jon Kjartan’s going to kill me for this) who is simply an amazing woman ;-) Third would have to be Americas next top model, hey how can you beat watching amazingly beautiful young women being at their most bitchingly selfish ;-P and last but not least, Beauty and the Geek. The title itself is a folkloric memorate and I am a selfproclaimed geek, a major factor the television producers ignored, geeks also come in the pint sized big bosomed variant!

Back to American Idols latest series, ms Pickler was thankfully voted off last week, the “I’m a simple intellectually challenged redneck innocent with no former experience and cast into the limelight against my own wishes”, who incidentally wore the dress on the right to her prom, competed in miss North Carolina as well as the television song contest pass me the mike.....all the dirt can be read here
But Paris?? I loved her from day one, her talent, her exuberance and all through the visiting talent have unerringly spoken most highly of her, so why vote her off? Browsing through comments on the various blogpages it would seem that many feel her future is already made, that unlike the other contestants she has her families experience and connections to draw upon and has already made enough of an impression to make it onwards... Well I hope so

Oh speaking of Paris Bennet, watched Pride and Prejudice last night, the Keira Knightly version. Oh wow, I'd forgotten how good that story was. Alhough it has to be admitted that he had absolutely nothing on Colin Firth Keira rocked, the supporting cast were excellent and the tale+directing+filming was suitably sweeping ;-) Loved the extras though, the fact that for the American audience they filmed another ending, an ending that actually showed the happy ever after.... No sticking to the litearature if the audience need more ;-P

3 Comments:

At 10:39 am, Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

I agree that nothing can match the Colin Firth version! But it's intersting that this new version is so different, and that it really stands on its own. Keira has grown as an actress. In "Bend it Like Beckham" and "Love Actually" she's a pretty face but her acting doesn't show much subtlety. In Pride and Prejudice, however, she shows herself to be an actress whose talent has progressed far beyond her years.

 
At 2:25 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heart paris.

i agree with you, rose about keira. in bend it like beckham, I thought parminder nagra was superior (not to mention I think she's more beautiful than keira) but keira has really grown on me in the last few years.

can't wait for parminder to get some more parts, though.

 
At 3:08 am, Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

You wouldn't have believed Richmond yesterday! I was visiting a children's bookstore, when I saw hundreds of people lining one of our main thoroughfares. Turns out they were gathered to see Elliott Yamin drive by... He was scheduled to throw out the first pitch at our Richmond Braves baseball game. Over 4,000 people showed up to welcome "Richmond's Idol" back home. Personally, I don't get it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home